Monday 21 October 2013

Challenging Experiences Related to Work, Studies or Family

Don't miss the chance to use your English. Tell us about a challenging experience you or somebody you know have experienced and practise using some of the linking expressions we revised in class.




CHANGE THE WORLD

The majority of us tend to think that things just happen. I used to think the same, but as I grew older, I realized that we can change things around us. Consequently, I decided to take part in something where I could do so, although it wasn’t an easy task. Despite the fact that it takes quite a lot of time, I entered different kind of associations so as to try to do things in the best way I could. Because of that, nowadays, I do voluntary work for two parents’ associations, I am a Triskel member and I am the treasurer and reporter of my football team. It has a high price to pay though, because all the time I spend on it, is time stolen from my family and friends. However, it is worth it!

Francisco Moreno



One of the most challenging experiences in my career that’s crossing my mind is my first job as a topographer in Spain. It happened many years ago but I can perfectly remember my feelings about it, yet.

I had just come back from abroad and I was unemployed. A friend of mine, unemployed as me, received a letter from the employment office, giving him information about a job as a topographer even though he had never worked as one before.

When I read his letter I realized that it came from my own office and they didn’t send the job to me.  Because of my experience in this area, I couldn’t understand what was wrong. Consequently I went to the office so as to know the reason. They said to me that the company was looking for a man.

In spite of getting extremely furious, about what I thought was unfair, I gritted my teeth and I directly phoned the company asking them for an appointment. As a result, I got the job.

Finally, I wrote to the employment office in order to fill them in on the event and also ask about their responsibility referring to this sexist behaviour.

Pilar Ramírez




My best friend Helen lived in a small town all her life. When she finished Primary School she decided to come to Zaragoza to study at Public University

Although her family didn`t have enough money to pay University taxes, she started to work in a restaurant as a waitress in order to earn some money. As a result, she could study what she wanted: Law.

Despite her effort, and because of “the Crisis”, she hasn`t got a job yet…It´s a pity but I trust her and I know that she will get a good job soon.


Elisa González Vieitez-2º Advanced C-Engish



No comments:

Post a Comment