Wednesday 9 October 2013

Funny Misunderstandings

Do you have  funny or embarrasing stories related to misunderstanding someone or being misunderstood?
Share them here.  Use the comments or become a contributor by sending an email to the administrator of the blog: marcardonaeoi@gmail.com


- A friend of mine went to  the USA on holiday. In a café he ordered a coffee alone. The waiters started laughing because they didn't understand him.

- A man who attends an English gathering told me another very good misunderstanding. A guy he knows was on holiday  in the USA. In a bar he ordered a “cock” instead of a Coke. And the waiter apart from laughing, answered: ” but a big one or a small one”. And he replied: “a normal size”. 

("cock" is a taboo slang word for penis)

David Martínez




Hello Everyone: 

Let me tell you a funny story, which is not exactly a misunderstanding. It happened to me the first time (when) I went abroad, quite a long time ago now. 

At that time, I had finished my university studies and I felt the need to improve my English language. I didn’t think it twice; I took my suitcase and went to London. 

Once there, I started looking for work. At first I was not aware of what I did because my level of English was so low.......... 

Oh, great ! In spite of being a bad English speaker, I was able to find a job as a waiter in a hotel on the fourth day.


I was hired by a man who was called Simón, the same as me and I thought this might be an advantage. 

He told me  about some of the previous students’ experiences, to get a taste of what he expected from me. He also explained the timetable, wages and so on to me,. Moreover, he 
told me the following expression " If you let me down, You will have to hide from me ", I didn´t knowunderstand it, and of course, I didn´t consider it such an important thing. 

My girlfriend came to see me, and we went out for dinner. I was so tired the following day  that I didn´t go to work. I called my boss "Simón ", and I said to him that I was sick. 

He said to me: “Come to the hotel tomorrow to balance your pays.  Ohhhh my god, he sacked me. 

Bye, 
Jesús

No comments:

Post a Comment